martes, junio 06, 2006

Oh, to be in Honduras

Well, yesterday, Monday, was my first day on the job. I went to the school in San Marcos- it´s little kids pre'k-2nd grade. When I first got there, the kids were just playing until the bell rang, then they all lined up according to their class-each class had one line of boys and one line of girls. Then, they stood in their lines for probably like 15 or 20 minutes and sang a bunch of songs...I can´t wait until I actually learn the songs, that is going to be a lot of fun!! When they were done singing it was time for breakfast. Each kid got a pack of cookies and a glass of milk - the milk was warm and had some sort of rice stuff in it. After breakfast the kids went to class. Samantha(another intern) and I took pictures of all the kids for a bulletin board that we are going to make. When we were done with that, we went to the preparatoria (kindergarten) class and helped them write. These kids had to write the word papa like 50 bagillion times...it was crazy!! Some of the kids were having trouble so we got to guide their hands and help them try to make all the papas. It was insane, after they finished a whole page of writing the word papa over and over again, the teacher would take it and give them another one!! I thought that it would never end, but finally it did, and they got a sheet to make the letter -I- a thousand times. After a while it was getting close to time for lunch, so we went to help the cook, Cristiana, get lunch ready...guess what we had to eat..rice and beans! It was good, we also had homemade corn tortillas...it was incredible, well, not really, it was school food, but it wasn´t too bad. Recess was after lunch, so we got to go play outside, that was pretty fun...after recess I went back to the kindergarten class, where we listened to this cd that they supposedly listen to everyday..it was crazy..the kids were like yelling-singing along with the cd..it was so loud, but it was pretty funny to watch them all because they had the entire thing memorized. I had a pretty fun day at school, it wasn´t what I was expecting, but it was still fun.
Today I am assigned to the office, where there is absolutely nothing for me to do except sit at this extremely slow computer and play. I have been here since 7 this morning and there´s a possibility that I may not get to leave until 4 this afternoon...I just wish that they had a couch so that I could take a nap.
This trip has turned out to be nothing like I expected it would be, and I´m still not sure how I feel about that. That´s all for now, I may be back before the day is over...

1 comentario:

Mad Rappin EW dijo...

I expect you to sing that song all the kids have memorized for us in our small group when you get back.