sábado, julio 11, 2009

Rest of the days in Antigua

I don't really remember where I left off, but we left the hotel with free internet so I kinda gave up on the blogging, but I figured I'd splurge for five minutes this last night.
We started work with the clinic on Sunday - I again translated for the optometrist and gave people sight, or so I like to think. We didn't see a whole lot of out of the ordinary things.
Monday we went to a rural school in a pueblo about 10 minutes outside of Antigua, it was a Monday, which is market day in Antigua, so the place was deserted. We were literally sitting around twiddling our thumbs for most of the day. My favorite part of that day was the ladies grilling chicken off to the side, it was yum!! Too bad most of our people were too scared to eat it, but I loved it!!!
Tuesday was a LOT more eventful, our line was forever long!!! Even longer than the line for the dentist, which never happens! We saw a lot of people and gave out a lot of glasses, it is so cool to see a person's face light up when you put a pair of glasses on them and they are able distinguish faces and figures for the first time. That happened a lot that day, we also got a lot of people complaining of not being able to read in the dark and their eyes burning when they look at the sun. We laugh and make fun of them a little, but it is really eye-opening to realize that things that we consider common sense are so foreign to these people.
Wednesday was free day - Becky and I went to an old convent, the best cathedral in town, and a boring museum (we only went to the museum because my book said they let you hold guns, but it lied). After that we went to the market then had lunch at Pollo Campero. I spent my last night at Bill's this day.
Thursday I was sick....so I took some Benadryl and Fenagran(sp?) and slept the entire day. I was sad to miss out on the clinic, but I felt way better when I woke up.
Today was our last day and we spent it in Chimaltenango...it was pretty busy, but not as crazy as I had thought it might be. We did more glasses stuff, and overall it was a pretty good day. We just ate dinner and are about to just chill before hitting the sack and heading home tomorrow.
BYe.

No hay comentarios.: